Friday, September 23, 2005

Escaping The News

I'm not as brave as I used to be, or maybe I'm just more neurotic. I tend to tape NotreDame football games and Indiana University basketball games and watch them only if they win. When the news is bad I go into a shell and do something else rather than endure the torture of watching the networks endless descriptions of pain, failure, and outrageous behavior. At some of the most exciting and peak hours of news stories you'll find me hiding in my garden pulling weeds.

It may be a function of age, or it may be a simple tiring of endless bad news, but I find it a pleasant balm to occasionally throw up my hands and retreat from the wall to wall glut of information that characterizes the 21st century.

Pulling weeds or mowing the lawn nudges me back towards the truths: God is in control. The earth is ephemeral. Worry is a dissonance in the Creator's ears.

Go Notre Dame.

1 comment:

Bryan Alexander said...

You should have more to cheer about with the Irish this year!