Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Sister has Shingles

Whenever I hear that someone has shingles I always get this image of asphalt roofing around the person's middle. I assume that's not actually the case. But then why the name?

Shingles [Latin cingulus, a girdle] The colloquial name of the dermatomal rash caused by herpes zoster. (from Taber's)

Well, we all know what herpes is. But before you assume that my sister's deportment has fallen to unspeakable depths... shingles is when the chicken pox (herpes zoster) you had as a child returns and attacks your nerve endings.

So my sister is still a saint... albeit a suffering one.

Get well, Sis.
(I wonder if she wanted this information published?)

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Ow! That's gotta hurt. I'll keep her in prayer.

But does that mean I have a bunch of asphalt girdles on my roof?

janice said...

I understand Shingles are very painful. I was given "Lycra" for my back and foot pain. Lycra is also given to ease the pain from Shingles, the patient information says.

I too will lift you and your family up in my daily devotions.