Friday, December 29, 2006

Deep Thoughts to Ponder Before a Hanging

“One should forgive one’s enemies, but not before they are hanged”
...Heinrich Heine

"When you hit the end of the rope...
your muscles lose control. I'm afraid I'll mess myself."
...Perry Smith, In Cold Blood 1967

"Ordinarily, I'd take you in my court - and try you - and hang you. But if you've got money for whiskey, I guess we can dispense with those proceedings."
...The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean 1972

This time tomorrow reckon where I'll be
Down in some lonesome valley
Hanging from a white oak tree.
Hang down your head, Tom Dooley...

Weight - Drop
14 stone (196 lbs.) 8 ft. 0 in.
13 1/2 stone (189 lbs.) 8 ft. 2 in.
13 stone (182 lbs.) 8 ft. 4 in.
12 1/2 stone (175 lbs.) 8 ft. 6 in.
12 stone (168 lbs.) 8 ft. 8 in.
11 1/2 stone (161 lbs.) 8 ft. 10 in.
11 stone (154 lbs.) 9 ft. 0 in.
10 1/2 stone (147 lbs.) 9 ft. 2 in.
10 stone (140 lbs.) 9 ft. 4 in.
9 1/2 stone (133 lbs.) 9 ft. 6 in.
9 stone (126 lbs.) 9 ft. 8 in.
8 1/2 stone (119 lbs.) 9 ft. 10 in.
8 stone (112 lbs.) 10 ft. 0 in.
Why not give everyone a ten foot drop? Turns out that with too much of a drop, if you're too heavy, you decapitate yourself, which is quite messy.

Dang me, dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman would you weep for me.
...Roger Miller

Saddam Hussein will have an easier death than that of the children he gassed. His death will not involve the tortuous pain he inflicted upon so many of his people. But I suspect this unrepentant monster will receive a justice fitting his crimes... And 77 virgins will not be involved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush drops bombs and kill children. You think that is ok. Maybe Bush would see justice.

Malott said...

Anonymous,

You ask a question that I can't answer. I believe that as a "Ruler" Bush's intents and purposes will be judged. Hussein will be judged in the same way.

But I don't see a moral equivalent between "freeing Iraq of a tyrant" and "gassing women and children."

One day we will all be judged and we will reap what we have sown. My prayer is that America's actions will set Iraq's families free of the fear and death that this tyrant - who is about to hang - levied upon his people.