Sunday, December 03, 2006

Can You Find the Immigrant in This Picture?

Not all immigrants are created equal. That is to say, when the "golden door" opens and a new immigrant passes beneath the "lifted lamp," sometimes we get a deal... and sometimes we don't do as well.

I've been working with the lady in the picture - the one that doesn't look like your typical Hoosier - for over ten years now. Everyone is always glad to see her when she arrives at work because she works hard and is in a perpetual good mood. When she's not working with us us, she is at her second job. There are rumors that she actually does take a day off now and then.

She was born in the Philippines - her father participated in the Bataan Death March. She came to this country the old fashioned way...legally. She paid the money... She did the paperwork... And one day she lifted her right hand, said a few words, and became an American.

I've met and worked with many people who were born in the Philippines. When two of them are alone together they usually chatter away in Tagalog, but when an Anglo enters the room they generally switch to English - because anything else would be impolite.

Unlike Muslim immigrants, Filipinos have found no need for a Council for American-Filipino Relations. And, unlike many illegals, they don't demand that their children be taught in their native tongue - oddly these people expect to speak English in the United States. They don't whine, they don't complain - they just work and raise their families.

From my experience with these people I've come to the following conclusion: If one day you miraculously transported half the Philippine population to America, two things would be true.

1) There would be a big jump in unemployment... but just for a couple days. These people would find work.

2) Our culture would not change.

Why do these Filipinos - unlike others - make such great and successful immigrants? Simple. First of all they come from a Christian Country with Christian values - a country whose citizens are not raised to expect the government to take care of them. They have pride in themselves. They don't come here to hide and rip us off. They come to play by the rules and make a better life for themselves - and they're ready to work for it. They don't expect us to change for them - they expect to adapt.

And how does my immigrant friend feel about illegal immigration? How does she feel about the years and money she's spent trying to get her daughter - a registered nurse - legally into this country through legal channels - while freeloaders illegally cross the border with impunity?

You don't want to get her started.

10 comments:

All_I_Can_Stands said...

Malott,

Your story points out very clearly that we conservatives welcome legal immigrants into our country. It is the illegal Linejumpers we have the problem with.

Sadly, the illegal immigration issue does not get the attention it needs; and when it does get attention, the media clouds the issue by branding us against all immigration.

Anonymous said...

It's too far to swim from the Phillipines.

Just saying.

Anonymous said...

And, by the way, are implying that Mexico is not a "Christian" country. There probably more practicing Christians in Mexico than the United States.

Anonymous said...

I was wrong.

About 102 million in Mexico and 213 million in the US.

Malott said...

Pepi,

Yes, Mexico is a Christian Country. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Mexican Christians than American Christians living off American Social Programs.

While Mexico is a Christian nation, a much larger percentage of the Filipinos here arrived legally, and a much much smaller percentage of Filipinos are living off my tax dollar.

There are no Filipino gangs in Los Angeles. The majority of the criminals in Los Angeles jails are Hispanic, not Filipino. Now these jailed Hispanic criminals may be Christian - I don't know.

OK?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: A vast majority of illegal immigrants do not "swim" across the border. Most entered via illegal border crossings or overstaying their expired visas(source: Pew Hispanic Center: http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/19.pdf).

Malott: As a Los Angeles city resident, I would beg to differ with your last comment. There are many Asian gangs in L.A., including Filipino.

Also, I would check your research before making such broad statements such as "The majority of the criminals in Los Angeles jails are Hispanic." It may be true, but it would nice to see a source quoted, not just an opinion. A good place to start is the Pew Center (url above) or any other respected source.

Additionally, the reason there are more Latino immigrants in California in comparison to Asian immigrants is the juxtaposition of the two continents. The cost of moving to the US, both legally and illegally, is significantly reduced when you don't have to purchase an airplane ticket.

Oh, and last time I checked, there are no "Christian" countries, except maybe the Vatican. They are the only Christian theocracy I am aware of.

Malott said...

Josh,

Thanks for the corrections.

I can't remember the source of the jail occupants... maybe Michelle Malkin, and I think she was quoting someone else.

Anonymous said...

No worries, Malott. I hope I didn't come off too harsh. If I did, I appologize. Immigration, which ever side we fall on, is a passionate topic. Peace - Josh

Anonymous said...

Uh... if you wanted to get here illegally from the Phillipines, you'd have to:

A. Swim

B. Fly

C. Take a boat.

Googleheimer said...

I have to agree with the comments posted about the line jumpers. When I lived in Southern California I never paid much attention to Illegals, and sometimes even felt sorry for them when I would see the being loaded into the back of a border patrol van, but those feelings are the exact opposite now.

I married a girl from the Philippines, and for the past year (almost) I have lived here (PH) attempting to get her K-Visa to the US processed. This has been a nightmare experience, and others I have spoken to tell me the same. It takes 4x as much paperwork as USCIS said to expect, and costs 3x as much as what the National Visa Center said it would cost, and I'm not even done yet.

I can't help but wonder how much of this is due to the illegals trying to slip in for a free ride. It really cheeses me off that I am spending a year of my life and an exceptionally large amount of money to do things the right way, only to be cut off at the pass by a bunch of idiots jumping the border.

Anyway, getting a visa is not an easy experience and your friend should count herself lucky that it's behind her. I've started a blog myself to detail my experiences with the hope that it will help others. If you would like to exchange links you can check me out by Clicking Here