Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Biopoietic Justice

So life rose from the sea did it? I've been reading attempts to justify this claim since 1972 and I just can't seem to piece together the sequence of events in my mind. Maybe its just me... Maybe I need a modern-day Brothers Grimm to stitch together the tale... throw in an occasional ogre and troll, and then maybe I could follow it.

But until then, this is my attempt at dispelling Creationism, Intelligent Design, Irreducible Complexity... that sort of stuff:

For the first or archetypical cell to get the ball rolling towards producing all the varied forms of plant and animal life around us... it first had to somehow come into existence... and it had to consist of the following basic chemical structures.

1) DNA... this stuff is the blueprint and template for the complex chemical structures that make up the cell.

2) Messenger RNA... this stuff reads the DNA and copies the template or instructions for making the complex chemical structures in the cell.

3) Ribosomes... these are the factories where the messenger RNA goes to manufacture the complex chemical structures... structures like Ribosomes, for instance.

4) Chloroplast... This is the power source that runs the factory... that produces chloroplasts that couldn't exist without being produced by the factory... that needs energy from the chloroplasts... well... lets move on.

5) Cell Membrane... This is a complex and active wall that keeps bad things out of the cell and lets in the good stuff. The cell can't function without it! Ofcourse the proteins that make up the cell membrane have to be synthesized by the factory... which runs on the energy produced the chloroplasts... which are produced in the factory... well... lets move on.

See, I feel I've lost the reader already and I haven't even reached the part where all this came about in a universe where the molecular tendency is towards randomness.

But then, if I had any talent for writing fairy tales I'd probably already be producing children's books like the ones they use in public schools.

Maybe tomorrow I'll start working on a non-fiction version of the "chicken and the egg" silliness.
Which came first, the ribosomal RNA which produces the proteins for the cell wall, or the cell wall which protects the chemical integrety of the cell... allowing the ribosomal RNA to function.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. You did lose me, as I have no natural ability in the field of science, but your point is well illustrated. Why is it that so many otherwise rational people are so willing to accept such an illogical conclusion?

Malott said...

I think many bright people decide that they don't want (or its not convenient for them) to believe in God. If you set out from that point... I suppose your options are limited to some very unlikely and scientifically far-fetched scenarios. For me its much easier to believe in a creator I can't see than a theory that I can see is implausible.
Thanks for your visit and comments.

Bryan Alexander said...

Good post Chris,
You obviously know a lot more about this than I do, so let me ask you a question. I've heard Christians say that they believe it is possible for creation and evolution to co-exist. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I fell asleep after Messenger RNA. Unfortunately, however, I had a nightmare about high school biology class - let's just say it involved a very angry fetal pig. As a result, I didn't even get a good nap out of the deal. When I woke back up, I forced myself to finish your tale because I kept waiting for the giant ogre to show up with his club to create the big bang.

Bryan, although Chris obviously knows a lot more about this than I do and will probably be able to better answer your question, I'll just quickly throw in my two cents worth.

As for those who say they believe creation and evolution can co-exist, I have to go back to the observation that God does not need evolution and evolution does not need (or want) God. Most of the people I have heard make this argument have tried to fit millions of years into the early chapters of Genesis. However, I have heard someone who I greatly respect and who has studied Hebrew and Greek say that to attempt to do so is to play extremely fast and loose with the original text - in other words, a day means a day, not several million years. This apparently is borne out by the word that is used for day and how it is used elsewhere throughout the Bible.

I have always thought that those Christians who want to try to mix creation with evolution do so because they are afraid that the scientific evidence doesn't support creation. Unfortunately, that is a mistaken belief that many people have based on all that we are bombarded with on a daily basis.

Wow, I guess my post ended up much longer than I intended. Sorry about that!

Malott said...

I think its important to remember that God also created time. There are indications in scripture that this flowing experience that we measure in seconds is as ephemeral and illusory as this universe itself. I don't believe time exists in God's world... and if we were truly to know Him we would first have to discard many deceptive little things like experience... and physics.

While I am able to recognize a fraud, like the theories of biopoiesis, I can't grasp creation living by this world's physical laws... cause and effect certainly gets in the way until you start wondering who created God. And that question is ofcourse like asking: DaVinci painted the Mona Lisa, but who painted DaVinci? It makes no sense.

I think its possible that God used an evolutionary sequence in the creation of life. I just don't see any evidence of it. But I do know that if all this life around us started from a single cell... God formed that first cell.

However the relatively new theory of "Irreducible Complexity" suggest that there are life systems that are too complex and have too many steps involved to be explained by an evolutionary process... like the many-stepped process of blood clotting.

I think its fine to cling to our illusions in this life because its part of God's plan. But to think we know something beyond our relationship with our creator is pretty academic. The Holy Spirit gives us gifts and we use them... or we get lost in a man-made culture. Is there really something else to know?

I'm really sorry but I love my analogy that God considers our lives on earth the way we consider our first days in the hospital nursery.(Katrina:A Father's Neglect?) As we "strut and fret our hour upon the stage" its comforting to know that the interesting part (the real part?) is yet to come.

But I ramble.